The Tabularium occupied the space between the temple of Jupiter on one side of the Capitoline Hill and the steps which led up past the Carcer to the Arx on the other. Though it is not mentioned in literature, we know from an inscription found in the building that it was erected by Quintus Lutatius Catulus in 78 B.C. As no changes were made during the Empire, it is best preserved and, therefore, to some, the most interesting of the buildings of the Republic. The tower which we see in pictures was added in 1300.
The building was used as a place to store the state archives, such as deeds, laws, treaties, and decrees of the Senate. This would be where one would have seen the senatus consultum or the text of the Manilian Law.
Top of Page