The first Roman Senate House was built by Tullus Hostilius at the northwest corner of the Forum square with the compass. The senators met here for centuries in a simple building, furnished only with wooden benches and a desk and chair for a speaker. The Curia Hostilia was destroyed by a group of Romans protesting the murder of their hero Clodius.
The Curia which stands today was begun by Julius Caesar in 44 B.C. He aligned this new Curia with its surrounding structures. The interior has three steps for the senator's seats on either side of the vast hall. A speaker's podium was located at the end opposite of the door. The Curia Julia was dedicated by Augustus in 29 B.C.
The present pavement and architectural decoration date from the time of Diocletian, who is credited with the restoration in 283 A.D. after the Curia was damaged by fire. Transformed at the beginning of the seventh century into the church of St. Hadrian. The bronze doors were moved to the church of St. John Lateran. The Curia was restored to its original form as closely as possible in the 1930's. The original bronze doors are still hanging on the church of St.John Lateran.
Top of Page